Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Taco el Pastorcito



Since the last post, we have spent the week feverishly researching all of the Mexican places in Dodge City to eat. So far our list is over twenty and I would be surprised if it doesn't hit twenty-five or higher by the time we were finished.

For our first stop, we followed the suggestion of "Sarge" and decided to hit Taco el Pastorcito at 106 N. 2nd in Ole Dodge City. Currently occupying the building that used to be Mr. Burger and Thai Angel, Taco el Pastorcito has big shoes to fill-and our intrepid team of eaters were eager to find out if this taco place had what it takes!


To me, the atmosphere was kinda dull, though the place was clean. Our waitress was friendly and understood what we were saying-and gave me a recommendation on what I might enjoy eating. Notably, the menu had a breakfast section.

On to the reviews:
(Please remember our reviewers are professionals and use the 5 star system to review)



Sarge had chicken enchiladas. She made several comments about the (good) quality of the chips and salsa (and I agreed!).

Chicken Enchiladas: 3
Chips and Salsa: 4


The Scotsman had beef enchiladas (which due to my laziness {and the fact that it looked almost exactly like Sarge's chicken enchiladas}, I am not posting a photo. He also enjoyed the chili peppers that K-Dawg recommended which were very hot but very good!

Beef Enchiladas: 4
Chips and Salsa: 4
Chili Peppers: 5

K-Dawg ordered this torta. I cannot remember what type it was but it disappeared pretty quick so I think I'll try one next time.

Torta: 4
Chips and Salsa: 4
Chilis: 5


Above is what, for the majority of our meal, I thought of as "Ryan's Mystery Meat Thing". The waitress had recommended I order this but I could not understand her. Then, when it arrived, I kind of thought of it as a burrito that had ruptured or perhaps some new experimental thing. Though it looks kind of nasty, it smelled really good and after one bite, I was hooked!

Chicken Chipotle Burrito Thing: 5
Chips and Salsa: 4
Chili: 5

In my mind, there are three notable things about Tacos el Pastorcito:
1) The food is cheap. And pretty good.
2) I heard on good authority that "el pastorcito" means "the shepherd"-which is kinda cool in a weird way. They are the "Taco Shepherds" of Dodge City!
3) The salsa is sweet and chunky and the chili peppers are very hot and tasty!

Overall our trip to Taco el Pastorito was a success and I'll be going again soon. I do fear that we might have gone to one of the best places first-but we shall see what wonders Dodge City's Mexican eateries have in store for us!



3 comments:

  1. I'm trying the Chicken Chipotle mystery thing! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should. It was really good, especially if you can control your imagination (it is not visually appealing). It was only $3.50 too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They also have a great seafood soup! The green sauce is good too (especially for meal items), but you must ask before you can receive.

    ReplyDelete