Monday, February 7, 2011

El Charro

Today we embarked on a journey to El Charro, at 1209 W. Wyatt Earp. I would argue that El Charro is the "default" Mexican eatery in Old Dodge City, at least among those who count English as their native tongue. My family and I have frequented El Charro for years-I still remember coming here with my high school buddies in the late 1980's. I was excited to actively review it, to see how it compares with the "new contenders" and see if the old dog had any fight left in her.




I took a quickie photo of the menu-I've had many good experiences that began with seeing this big leatherish menu before me at El Charro.





Here is a photo of El Charro's chips and salsa. Their salsa is very heavy on the tomatoes and not too chunky. I have always liked it and believe it is probably El Charro's "signature" item.



I had a combination plate (#8). It consisted of rice, beans, chili relano, a taco and a cheese enchilada. El Charro's has really good consistency and the flavor and quality were similar to what I have had in the past. I struggled to rate El Charro's food-I've eaten here so many times and I have so many memories associated with the place.

Chips and Salsa: 3.5 Though it is not spicy and not chunky, it is flavorful and pretty consistent. Their chips and salsa are solid, though a bit overrated.

Food: I rate it a 3. The food is good but over the years I can't help but notice how the shrinking portions (combined with price hikes) lessen the El Charro's experience. It really isn't competitive with the newer Mexican places in town (where similiar or better quality can be had for less $). I believe I paid $14 or so for this plus coffee.





K-Dawg had some kind of taco special that included a sopapilla.
Chips and Salsa: 3.5
Food: 3.5. The food was good but I would have scored it lower if I included the price into the rating. It is good but not very authentic. They do have great service.




The Scotsman had an enchilada supreme and a taco.
Food: 4 I really like this-it is what I'm used to. It really satisfies my gringo palette.
Chips and Salsa: 4




Driz is our newest Taco Tour Tuesday adventurer. He had some kind of burrito and an enchilada.
Food: 4. The food is good but pricey. The beef is just ground beef-nothing fancy.
Chips and Salsa: 4


After we left I was struck with two feelings-a kind of disappointment that the cuisine at El Charro's is so expensive and that is isn't very spicy. The second was that full feeling that I get when I eat at El Charro's-like I'd just had something that hit the spot and that life is good.

Will El Charro make it into the winner's circle of the top 3 restaurants in Dodge City-not likely. Will it continue to be a frequently visited Dodge City icon-I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment