Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mariscos Nayarit


Mariscos Nayarit is located at 509 N. 2nd, hidden away upstairs in the old Eckles building. Several of our intrepid band used to eat here a few years ago but we all kind of forgot about it. Mariscos Nayarit's lack of signage and advertising probably contribute to this...but I'm really glad we rediscovered it because we all had a really good meal here.

We entered the building, scaled the stairs, and found ourselves in a more or less empty eatery. A waitress came out and immediately got us going on our orders. K-Dawg talked me into going "off the reservation" a little on my ordering-more on that later. I am starting to think he's a bad influence, though.

Sarge remarked (on the eclectic decor) that "this place has strange artwork. Reminds me of some random yard sales". The service was good, though, and (unlike a couple other places we've been), was a quiet and relaxing dining experience.



Here are the chips and salsa. Chunky!



Sarge:
Chips and Salsa: 4. "A little hot but has personality. Also big chunks. I like big chunks in my salsa."
Chili Releno: 4.5. "Excellant. Really good chili relano."



The Scotsman:
Chips and Salsa: 4."Good sauce. I like it."
Beef Enchilada and Pork Tamale: 4 and 3. The Scotsman didn't have much to say about his meal but did spend a lot of time eyeballing and snatching my soup!




I enjoyed the chips and salsa-the salsa is (you guessed it) chunky and flavorful. I rate them a 4.

Pictured above is my Marinero Soup-it came with a sterno thing inside and (though my camera did not capture it) had a blue flame shooting out the top that kept it warm. The soup was awesome as a conversation piece-in addition to the blue flame (flaming meals ROCK!), it was chock full of various pieces of seafood including shrimp, clams, fish, crab, and some weird stuff that I could not identify. It was so popular that several of my dining companions snatched some up and enjoyed it. It wasn't cheap ($12, I think) but it was delicious, a full helping, and something that two people could easily share if they wanted. I rate it a 4.5 on our 5 point scale.



K-Dawg
Chips and Salsa: 4 "Two-thumbs up".
Devil's Shrimp: 4 "At first I didn't think it was that spicy but it catches up to you!".

Overall, Mariscos Nayarit was a really good experience. We all rated it high and I am certain it will be voted in the top 5 Mexican places in Dodge.

One word of caution though: they do not accept any plastic so bring cash or checks!

2 comments:

  1. I remember the cilantro in the salsa being super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that place rocks. I'm taking my sweet wife there soon.

    ReplyDelete