Monday, January 10, 2011

Tacos Jalisco






Tacos Jalisco is located at 412 E. Wyatt Earp Blvd. The metal building is a stark contrast from the tiny little run-down shack that was Tacos Jaliscos a few years ago...and it is one of my favorite Mexican places in Dodge City. I expected it to score well compared to the other places in town and it did not disappoint.



The chips and salsa were promptly delivered. Tacos Jaliscos differs from other Mexican places in Dodge in that it has a little "relish bar" where they have pickled spicey peppers mixed with carrots and onions and such. It's spicey and "dilly" but pretty good. They also have radish slices, which I find help cool things off.


Sarge
Chips and Salsa:5. Keep in mind that the Sarge never gives "5"'s. She's tough that way. She said "the interplay of the various flavors is great". She never talks that way-I almost reached out to tear off her "Sarge Mask" and see who was posing as Sarge but then I remembered that if it WAS Sarge, she would probably execute me-so I let it slide. Suffice it to say, she liked the chips and salsa.
Flautas: 4. "They are nice and crunchy-and I like the garnishes".


I too enjoyed the chips and score them a solid 4. The salsa is flavorful and a bit spicy and the chips are always good.
My meal was a pork torta (sanwich) and a carne asasa taco (combo plate). The combo plate was really good (4) but I would have preferred a little more of the cheese covered refried beans. Every time I go to TJ's the bean portion shrinks a little. Are they trying to tell me something?

I also washed it down with a Mexican-Coke-In-A-Bottle and some flan (kind of a caramel-butterscotch custard). When I was finished I wanted nothing more than a long nap!


K-Dawg
Chips and Salsa: 4. "I love their salsa".
Hot!Hot!!Hot!!! Torta: 4. K-Dawg ordered the Hot!Hot!!Hot!!! Torta (sandwich) after I assured him that I had ordered it before and lived. I may have exaggerated some of that (I don't remember my torta being 100% immersed in hot sauce and delivered in a lake of fiery goodness). Watching K-Dawg's face turn bright red and tracing the beads of sweat as they rolled down his forehead provided great entertainment to all of us.


This is what remained after K-Dawg called it quits-he did some major damage on that thing! "It was very good, but MAN it is hot".



Pioneer Woman:
Chips and Salsa: 5. "It has the right flavor, seasoning, and cilantro".
Chicken Taco meal: 4.5 "It was pretty good but I was hoping for a fried shell. Good flavor, though."

There you go-the lowest score on our foursome was a 4-making Tacos Jalisco one of the best Mexican food places that we've found in Ole Dodge City yet!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm. . . flautas and guac w/ Mexican coke - my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, delicious place but do they still lack a little consistency? Seemed like that was the case a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I believe that they still have those issues-one in four of my meals have been "different". Sometimes it is just odd; a couple times it has been nasty.

    ReplyDelete